Saturday 1 September 2012

Kindred spirits...



I’ve always been looking to find kindred spirits to share my life with ever since reading Anne of Green Gables as a 14 year old. But I have to admit that eventhough I'm always looking to find kindred spirits I have this nagging fear of what if. What if my kindred spirits... don't like me? What if, because of my flaws - my shyness, self-consciousness, uninteresting-ness - a potentially wonderful friendship falls flat on the floor?

Sometimes that fear can be personified in me trying-too-hard. Unfortunately my trying often presents a wall; a certain coldness, a front that stalls a real, foundation upon which to build a genuine, heartfelt, rewarding friendship.


I recently read a quote by photographer Cecil Beaton, recalling his first meeting with Audrey Hepburn 1954:


“...without any of the preliminaries I felt that she cut through to a basic understanding that makes people friends. Nothing had to be explained: we liked one another. A chord had been stuck and I knew that, next time we met, we would continue straight from here with no recapitulation of formalities. This was a unique occasion.”

Cecil reminded me that a blossoming friendship is not dependent upon making oneself seem attractive to others. It is about being warm and accepting, and welcoming those who cross our paths with open arms. Shedding layers, rather than donning them. Because it's the not trying - the effortlessness - that really makes some friendship's unique.

"Your heart and my heart
are very, very old friends."
— Hafiz 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Scattered Words
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com